Friday, August 12, 2011

The Witch's Rosary

"Magic is an art which enables us to focus thought and therefore alter reality..."

Like most devoted Pagans, I have specially consecrated areas here and there around my home where I enjoy quiet moments of contemplation and communion with the sacred.  One of these places is in my bedroom.   An antique sewing machine housed in an old, wooden, cabinet stands at the foot of my bed.  The top swings open to allow the machine to be raised, or swings closed to create a table top that conceals the machine.  Even though the ancient black singer it houses does not work, I fell in love with the cabinet the first time I saw it—the clincher was the charming cut-out hearts on either side.  I brought it home and covered the wooden top with a black satin altar cloth.  It now holds many of the items I use during my devotionals.  One of these sacred items is my rosary. 

Some people might be surprised at the idea of a Pagan/Witch using a rosary so please allow me to clarify--my “rosary”, is not the common variety, with ghastly dangling crucifix.  Rather, it is Goddess oriented.  


Before I am accused of irreverently adapting a Christian icon for blasphemous uses, let me reassure you, I intend no disrespect.  Praying with beads is a spiritual practice with a long history and has been included by most of the world’s religions. Not to mention, the rosary was originally a devotional devise dedicated toward a Pagan Goddess. 

Yes, I am aware of the legend of Saint Dominic.  (This tale has it that the “Virgin Mary” appeared to Dominic in a vision and presented him with the first rosary.  She then promised him that as he spread devotion to the rosary, his religious order would likewise flourish.)  According to legend, this event took place at the church of St. Sabina in Rome during the 12th century.  But the rosary was already used in Rome several centuries previous. 

Often referred to as the “Flower of Venus”, rosaries were carried by sacred temple prostitutes.  In Venus’ mystery traditions, the red rose represented full blown maternal sexuality, while the white rose or lily was a sign of the Virgin Goddess.  These representations were later transferred by the Catholic Church to the Virgin Mary, who they referred to as the “Holy Rose”.  

These Venus chaplets were strung with beads created from rose petals that had been pounded into a paste, formed into shape, pierced and allowed to dry.  Our term “rosary”, which comes from the Latin rosarium,  meaning "rose garden" or "garland of roses", is a carry over from those rose petal beads.   

The history of beads as an adjunct to prayer goes back even earlier than Rome, with beads dating back over 38,000 years having been found.  These finds give evidence to the special religious significance they have held since the dawn of time.  Primitive man shaped beads from fangs, claws, bones, horns, and ivory.  In hunter-gatherer society all these materials represented a successful hunt.  This association led to the use of beads  as currency, and for display of wealth or social status.  The connotations of a successful hunt may have also played a part in their development into magical talismans to protect the wearer against harm and amulets to attract certain desirable energies, wisdom, good luck and fortune.  So I suppose if anybody could lay claim to originating the very first rosary, it would be some ancient shaman.

Prayer beads may be found among cultures as diverse as the African Masai and the Native American Yaqui.  But most scholars agree that the practice of using prayer beads originated in the Orient.  The ancient Hindus, Buddhists, and Egyptians all used prayer beads."  The Egyptians called their prayer beads, sha sha, which means "luck”.  Buddhist prayer beads were known as malas and Hindus prayer beads were known by the related name “japa-mala”, a Sanskrit term which means "muttering chaplet." 

This reference to muttering aptly refers to prayer beads function of helping the devotee keep their place, without having to count, while muttering a long series of chants or prayers.  This use has carried through until today. Despite the Biblical warnings to avoid vain repetition during prayer, even the Christianized rosary was designed for repetition of prayer.   

Physiologically, we know that repetition builds and reinforces neural pathways. This is why students are required to do so much rote recitation of important facts such as their multiplication tables.  The more a concept is repeated, the more it is reinforced. If you will indulge me for a moment in regarding prayer as a (supplicational) magical spell, it suddenly becomes easy to understand how repetition of a prayer request might increase its power.  There is power in our thoughts, especially when focused mental energy is directed toward a single purpose.  Magic is an art which enables us to focus thought and therefore alter reality—it is the tool that gives us the ability to bring our desires to manifestation.

Having revealed this, you may already suspect that a Witch might use her rosary for more than rote prayer.  After all, Witches are known for creating their own changes in reality, NOT supplicating Deity to make changes for them! 

Rosaries can be very useful while chanting, during meditation, and while praying.  Using one enhances concentration and deepens altered states consciousness.  When fingered like worry stones they help calm the mind and can neutralize and displace worries that, during normal states of consciousness, constantly invade the background mental dialogue.  Used as a part of daily devotions directed toward a particular Goddess (or other deity concept) they can be an important tool for forging a strong connection to Deity.  The rosary may also be used for reciting self-affirmations or otherwise reinforcement of the will or desires.  And yes, it can even be employed during spells or rituals.  In this case, each bead or decade might represent a desired energy, action or visualized result.  They might also be employed in the same as the knotted length of rope known as the “witch’s ladder”—to either capture or dispatch particular energies. 

A Witch might string her rosary from any of a vast array of natural objects, including beads of clay, ceramic,  glass, wood, crushed rose petals, gemstones, crystals, shells, or bodhi seeds.  If possible, she will look for appropriate correspondences when selecting her materials.  Strands of alternating amber and jet is a popular choice among practitioners of traditional Witchcraft. 

My personal rosary is dedicated to a Celtic stellar Goddess.  It is a circlet made of beautiful, faceted, indigo-blue beads.  Small silver beads act as spacers and flat, disc shaped indigo beads veined with silver act as medals.  A short single strand of various beads and medals dangles from the circlet, with a silver spiral goddess (a symbol of life, rather than death) hanging at the end—or the beginning... 

Below, I’ve included a Goddess oriented Rosary devotion.  I received it along with several others years ago while taking a class (through Ecclasia) on making Rosaries.  You may use it, but please don’t let it limit you.  Rather, use it as a spring-board to help you create you own Rosary devotion; one that is dedicated to your chosen Deity and holds special meaning to you.

Blessings and Peace,

Esmerelda


ROSARY TO THE EARTH MOTHER

Blessing on the Goddess Figurine

Green Lady of the budding Tree, the Full Blossomed Fruit, the Dying Seed
Queen of Life, Death and Birth
Mother of Sorrows, Mother of Mirth
Ancient Mother Knows as Gaia, Demeter, Tellus, Ceres, and Danu
I say this Rosary in Honor of You.

First Bead:  I ask the Earth Mother to Ground Me.
Second Bead: I ask the Earth Mother to Center Me.
Third Bead: I ask the Earth Mother to help Me Grow.
Fourth Bead: I ask the Earth Mother to help Me Flow.
Fifth Bead: I ask the Earth Mother to Nourish my Soul.

Medal: 
Green Dewy One
Rich brown earth that nourishes me to my core
Lady of the rolling prairies
Dusty One of the Desert
The Fire that lies under all
Womb and Tomb of all Life
Mistress of the Garden of Paradise.

First Decade:
Purify me with your Air
Let me shake away all of my bad though and experience
So I might hear the voice of Your Inspiration
Let me speak Freely and Truthfully
And protect Your creation.

Divider Bead: The Earth Mother Purifies me in Thought and Deed

Second Decade:
Warm me with your Fire
Free me from my seed husk
And let me embrace Your Sun
And Grow to my full potential
Every day, till my work is done.

Divider Bead: The Earth Mother lights and emblazes my Spirit and Soul.

Third Decade:
Cleanse me with your Water
Let me wash away all of the dirt and grime
Of times past and present worry
Let me flow more eagerly and freely
With Love and Compassion everyday till my last.

Divider Bead: The Earth Mother showers me with Compassion and Love.

Fourth Decade:
Mother, Ground Me in Your Earth
Let me grow rooted in faith,
Strong and hardy
Yet bendable like the trees        
So I might change and serve You in all Your needs.

Divider Bead: The Earth Mother Grounds me in Stability.

Fifth Decade:
Mother, Fill me with Your Spirit
Change me, Touch me, Make me Whole
Bring me Peace from Union with You
Our Voices and Souls are joined in al that I do.

Divider Bead: The Earth Mother Fills me with Her Spirit and makes me Content.

Medal

Our Lady of the Earth
You who are the Divine
Reveal to me Your healing Ways
Lead me on my Path Today
Guide me, Oh Gracious One
From now till my day is done
Let me set myself Free
As I will,
So Mote It Be!

Blessed Be, Blessed Be, Blessed Be!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Esmeralda ! I love to hear from you story! Well the prayers beads, (rosary) was before part of pagans, then Christianity adopted it so the people will follow them as well .I collect sewing machines too. I know that love of something old ,I got about 8 machines , some new some old, all over my house. they keep me in touch and mending myself anytime I need a stitch!!! Hugs Andrea.

    ReplyDelete